St Johns Shopping Centre has been awarded Disability Confident Level 3, making itself one of the first shopping centres in the country to do so. This a big win for the central retail hub, which has used 2018 to invest a lot of time and energy into becoming a more accessible, supportive business in the city.
Acquiring Disability Confident Level 3 means that St Johns Shopping Centre delivers an inclusive environment for both shoppers and employees. To reach this level, the centre had to be validated by one of the following groups:
- recognised accreditation organisations whose accreditation covers the components of the Disability Confident employer self-assessment
- existing Disability Confident leaders
- disabled employees or customers/clients
- internal diversity and inclusions groups/forums
- disabled stakeholder groups or forums
- national disability network groups
- local disability organisations, Work and Health Programme providers or network groups
- disabled people’s organisations (DPOs)
- national disability organisations
Neil Ashcroft, Centre Manager, said, ‘St Johns Shopping Centre is the shopping centre for everyone. Our customers and employees know that they are safe and welcome here, and there will always be someone on hand to provide the support they need. Our new Disability Confident Level 3 title allows us to progress forward and affirm our place as one of the most progressive shopping centre’s in the country.